We did learn that the architect that built it, Allen Stem, was a prominent architect in the late 1800's and early 1900's. One year after this house was built, he formed the partnership of Reed and Stem. They were commissioned for such well known buildings as the St. Paul Hotel and University Club buildings as well as over 100 train stations throughout the U.S. including Grand Central.
Here is the house as it looked in 1890 when it was first built. (photo from MN Historical Society)

Below are some photos of the interior. They don't do it justice, but give an idea of what you'll see when you come to visit.
The library
Living room fireplace
Foyer
Dining room
Kitchen
Staircase
First on the agenda is ditching the wallpaper and getting a nice clean coat of paint over all the walls. That, a little floor sanding, and a major cleaning and we'll be all set.
The yard is a bit bigger, with what looks like some existing beds and lilacs all down one side. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up. We'll be renting our house, so I'll be transplanting the majority of my beds to the new gardens in the spring.
(If you know anyone looking for a place to rent, here's the link to our rental:) http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/apa/988526807.html

4 comments:
Wow. Now THAT is a house. How very exciting! And you have a library? Wow. I love that you have a photo from 1890. Cool, cool, cool.
I see a lot of potential space for toddlers to run! (and spaniels too)
not only lot of space for toddlers and spaniels to run but also grandpa and grandmas. grandma s
How exciting for you! It's a beautiful house. Grandma S has been telling me about it and now I will have to get her to take me over to see it. Congratulations, Amy (Grandma S's friend)
Post a Comment